About the client
Industry: New energy
Product: Solar lighting products
Company Size: Medium size
Location: United States
- The client had concerns over their products’ cost competitiveness, because their main markets are mainly in Africa and India;
- The client did not have engineers and sourcing specialists capable enough for cost reduction technically or commercially;
- The main competitor managed to reduce costs for their product lines, earning the competitive edge;
- The client had reached out to a few sourcing agencies whose capabilities were limited and couldn’t be the game changer.
How we helped
- Built the “should costs” section in the cost breakdown for the client’s products, so our client can use it for price comparison with the then current supplier and future ones;
- Reviewed and aligned with the client product specifications, BOM (bill of materials), drawings and forecast;
- Sourced and selected qualified, reputable suppliers in a short time. Most of them had worked with Insight Solutions before;
- Detail analyzed the quotations from over 3 suppliers with our engineers; supplier;
- Provided re-design and re-engineering proposals, including DFM (design for manufacturing) analysis, to the client’s design and engineering team for further evaluation;
- Built the tunnel for direct communication between the suppliers and the client;
- Developed the cost reduction road map and cost reduction analysis report.
- Identified cost reduction opportunities, including:
- Electronic – purchased from international agencies instead of original manufacturer directly;
- Plastic – re-engineering and DFM (design for manufacturing) review;
- Battery – standardized battery specifications and reviewed with multiple sources for netter solutions;
- Solar panel – joint design for the most efficient solution and built strategic relationships with key solar panel suppliers;
- PCB (printed circuit board) – standardized the PCB platform.
- Product costs were reduced 11.75%, 5.47%, and 4.1% respectively, which could contribute to saving $857,635 in 3 years;
- The client earned the competitive edge on the market;
- The client has more bargaining chips in the whole supply chain.
More customer stories
Supply Chain Management
Insight Solutions Global helped to improve the overall supply chain performance via reducing lead time, saving about $145,000 packaging costs, and building good supplier relationships.
Supplier Quality Management
Insight Solutions Global helped resolved the gap issue, drove the communication efficiency, guided the supplier to set up measurement system, and finally increased the yield rate to 99.48%.
Technical Due Diligence
Insight Solutions Global delivered a detailed 105-page Technical Due Diligence report to help the client make the decision to invest an US company whose operation center and supply chain are in China.